Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Just a blink...Part I


...making the decision to have a child is momentous!  
It is to decide forever to have 
your heart
go walking outside your body...



I shared a conversation the other day with one of our sons.
He made the comment that his wife had asked
if life was ever going to
get easy? 
 

If life were easy...It wouldn't be hard!
Our mortal experience is designed to test what we really care about, 
what we believe...what we really want to become,
and how we really feel about our Father and His Son...

We are to bear each other's burdens, even to absorb each other's burdens...
but not to cause each other's burdens. 


This comment gave me pause for a moment.  I told him
I always got anxious if things were too easy...
because then I knew another BIGGER
test was just around the corner.

I asked him what his response was.
He just grabbed her in his 
arms 
and gently reminded her of how blessed they really were.

I smiled...age will allow me that.
I smiled and sighed, and thought...this mortal existence
in the big scheme of things, is really
just a blink~

*** 

I was pulled back to a spring day when we loaded up
our new blazer and set off for an adventure.
We had invited a married couple
and the manger of 
a sporting goods store, who had become
a close friend.

Remember I said Blazer...this was back in the day, when seat belts were not mandatory...
we crammed ALL of everything we needed, including our
KIDS, in the very back.
 
Packing up all the fishing gear, and fixin's for a 
wiener roast, homemade potato salad, Texas fudge cake...extra coats, gloves and pants for our three little
boys, we headed out for a remote lake, above
Boulder, Wyoming.

I did say it was spring, right?  Spring in Wyoming, means 
there is still snow.
Oh the sky was a brilliant blue...and the sun was just blasting off
the sparkling patches of snow, dabbled up
under the sagebrush and covering the dirt trail we were on.

I am married to a man, who has redefined...
what pushing the envelope means.
There isn't a road, anywhere that he would not try to access
if the destination was worth it. 

Breaking trail on a flat surface, with four wheel drive, is a piece of cake.  We had to navigate just a little hillside, and 
the lake was just around the corner...off behind those
pines yonder'...

Hang on!  Pushing snow just a bit further.  And then off  we 
went sliding into a rut that must have been created the previous fall during the rainy season.  Covered by all of that
blistering, deceiving white, stuff!

We were so stuck...you could not open the passenger side door.
Everyone,  had to climb out over the drivers seat.

NO PROBLEMO'

We had five adults, that could get us out of this situation,
and still plenty of daylight, to do what we had come for.

~FISH~

Were we planning on impressing our guests with this outcome?
Were we creating a memory, worth reliving?
Was this something hard...that was going to be worth the effort?

Five hours later, with back breaking shoveling,
sagebrush strategically placed in front of tires...some laughter and easy banter...mostly frustrated adults, who were by now really hungry, and past the point of living out the hope of wetting a line...
We paused. 


The sun, was dipping lower into the west.
We were not going to get out of this without some help
from another source.  I did not want to sleep in the vehicle. 


The boys had been
having the time of their life.  They just wanted to know if
they were going to get to go fishin'?  "Daylights burning Dad!"


Out of humble frustration,
I called on our little men...and asked them if they could help us out.
I have shared before how I know the prayers of children
are miraculous in the nature of those who are
speaking to our Father.
Innocence, and pure in heart...belief.

It wasn't that I had not prayed myself.  I was praying non-stop...but confusing the issue, with expletives every now and then. 

Off they went to the privacy of the trees.

Oh, I can still see them holding hands, laughing as they
fell into the snow, jumping up...and walking on.

And then
silence.

They were gone longer than I thought that a simple prayer should have taken.  I was getting a little worried...maybe
they had found the lake, and got side tracked, and were 
throwing rocks...or making little boats out of the undergrowth.

I can still visualize them clamoring over the covered
brush.  The sun was creating the most delightful
silhouette's...there was no talking,
just a resoluteness in purpose.

When they reached our group, they quietly announced to me and their Dad, that help was on the way.

"How do you know?"

Dumbest question ever.

"Haven't YOU taught us, that prayer works?"

It wasn't five minutes later, we could hear the struggle of another 4x4 rumbling in on the broken trail, we had created earlier in the day. 

Between their truck and our tow ropes, we were able to wrench
that poor Blazer free...with enough time left to wet a hook. 

Honestly, I can't remember a better tasting burnt hot dog.

I promise, the event was memorable.

I guess where I am going with the tell of this tale is this:
Life is good...no matter what, comes your way.
We have a way of humbling ourselves
don't we?

...opportunities to put the test
of what you profess, will sooner or later...find their
way to your door step.





Great are our blessings.  Tremendous is our responsibility.  Let us get on our knees and plead with the Lord for direction.
Then let us stand on our own feet
square up our shoulders
and 
march forward without fear
to enlarge among people everywhere
that we KNOW who we are.

Children of the Lord~

Love one another.
Serve one another.
Be prayerful.
Be humble.
Be grateful.

3 comments:

  1. Great story!! I love this Photo!! These boys cherish their Mama!! You can see it and feel it!! It's precious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber...it is one of my all time favorites too. LG, must have come in early from work one night, and caught us in the act. I am so glad, each of them continued in the tradition of reading, and that each of their children like to do it as well. Memory is great!

      Delete
  2. This pic with your cute as ever boys.... priceless. You can see AND feel so much love in this photo. This story is so sweet... your boys great faith in prayer... knowing that help would be there soon. So glad the outcome was better than it could've been. Love you... my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete