Sunday, January 26, 2014

JUST A BLINK: Part II



I want to grow old, in an old cabin...
built by an old tree, in an
old forest...with my best friend...

The other day, my guy and I went on a drive about.
We set off for Hebgen Lake, over in Montana.

This time of year, you are guaranteed
to run into a few spirited rams that have
angled off the mountain, 
foraging for food.

I spend a lot of my time gazing out the window, as the scenery
flies by.  I am always deep in thought, and because
both of us are getting a little hard of hearing
we don't verbally say to much.
It is a silence, that is totally comfortable.

Once in a while though, I will turn towards him
and ask..."What ya thinkin'?"
At which point he rattles off a dozen or so things, and then grins and says..."That's just for starters."
I have this song playing, over and over in my head:

Homeward Bound
Bind me not, to the pasture...
chain me not, to the plow,
set me free to find my calling...
and I'll return to you somehow.

I have lived with a man of adventure, a free spirit, 
who was probably born, a hundred years to
late, to fall into the lifestyle, he eventually
has chose for himself.
I thought of  the days preceding a business trip
that took him to Istanbul, Turkey, and how
he groomed himself inside and 
out for the challenge.

The friendships that were born from that experience are ones
we will take into eternity.

IF THE DREAM'S BIG ENOUGH
THE FACTS DON'T COUNT. 

I thought of the many, many times I have seen him
off, to earn our keep:
NY, NY
Chico, CA
Reno, NV
Mardis Gras'
Jackson Hole, WY
Alaska
Mack's Inn, ID
Montana...again and again
Wyoming...never enough
It is crazy, but this man of mine...will sometimes drive over 
10-15 hours in a day,
finish his business, and
 return home...
to sleep 
in his own bed, with his woman. 

As we have gotten older, I appreciate this sacrifice of his
more and more, because I am not one who can
stay awake, for very long
if I am in a vehicle
driving
to anywhere.  

Seriously,  just cruising to Utah, if I am 
en route by myself,
 sometimes I will have to pull over and take a quick little
cat nap, before finishing up that last 
hour or so of driving.


So anyway we found the 
sheep, the rams were still up top, grazing  under the trees
but the ewes and babies had ventured to the 
highway, eating grasses and licking up
road salt. 

To see a hillside blanketed in the white of winter
is to know a particular ecstasy of beauty.
But to share it...
to walk the gray winter woods and find
buds which will resurrect their 
beauty in May...is to partake
of continuity.
*** 

 JUST A BLINK...




 



1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful for the beauty of God's creations... we are truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete