Saturday, February 8, 2014

Maybe...it's not about the happy ending...maybe it's about the story: Part I



I like me best
when I'm with you...


February is here...the month of LOVE...


I met my sweetheart on a blind date.
He had been home from his mission for eight days,
been on seven dates with different girls~
I was to be his eighth...and last.



I was not one, to go on blind dates...I had enough to handle in
the constant "asking".  I said yes, a couple of times
because, well I liked the woman who was coordinating it.
I liked her name, Portia, I loved her southern
accent, and I was intrigued with her whole
outlook on life.  She was pure
energy, spunky, and 
nice.

I was working at a hardware store,
when she and her husband, started coming in for supplies 
to finish building their new home
in Provo, Utah.


I went on a couple of dates with a nephew of hers, but
she kept saying, every time she came into the store,


"Now don't be getting serious with anyone, until
you meet my LeGrand."


I would just smile at her, and promise, once again
that I would be available, for at least one date.









I guess I should tell you a little about me
before I get to the "us".

I was the oldest of six brothers and sisters, grew up in a
neighborhood nestled among fruit orchards,
grandparents on both sides of the family
lived on the same street...for years.


I was really a Tom Boy, I would have rather 
run wild after school, climbing trees, building forts,
taking irrigation turns, exploring...creating adventure in the 
simplest of forms,
than play dolls, or dress-ups.
Let me pretend to be a cowboy, or pirate, and I was 
in good company.



All I ever asked for on my birthdays until I was a teenager
was a pair of good jeans, new P.F. Flyers and a 
box of new crayons.
(I have always loved to color).


Heck, my name was Jamie...and it was way
before, it was "cool" to use
it as a girl's name.

I always wondered, if it made my dad, feel a little bit
better, since I was not a "son" that I got
his name...sorta'.  His was James Ephraim... 



My Mom...had different ideas, for her oldest girl,
she was bound and determined to tame my
wild spirit somehow, and so the dolls came too.
I did play with them, but if I was 
given a choice~
let me run. 



Listen and you will hear, the breeze brushing
softly through the trees...
birds singing, your own heart beating...
your soul is waking up,
and
God whispers...This is for you.



Ever since I could voice an opinion, I knew...absolutely
KNEW,  that God, has given us all,
the beauty, and wonderment that we could ever possibly
need, want... and enjoy.


Did you know you can smell grass growing when the sun hits it just right?  And that first cut of summer...or as it's
mulched in autumn with the fallen leaves, is such intoxication.
The earth as it's being tilled, holds so many secrets of new birth...
and
 when we take the time to plant and tend to
the seeds...it becomes such an amazing partnership with
 our Maker.


 

  ...to plant a garden, is to believe in tomorrow...



The sun, as it peeked over the top of Squaw Peak each morning,
and painted Timp...every night.
The stars, oh magic of the night.  Delighting my little heart
upon laying on the ground and looking up.

I never needed, anything new or fancy...just give me some 
time to make my own adventure, and it
happened!


And so, when this cute little woman, in her spunky southern drawl
asked me to wait for one date with her LeGrand,
   well, it was not hard to do.
I loved spontaneity...and surprises!


The day finally arrived.
Dutch treat...blind date.
Hmmmm



He had me at... Hello.
 Must have been something in the accent.






 Whatever we are waiting for...
Peace of Mind
Contentment
Awareness
will only come, when we are ready
to receive...
with an open and grateful heart.



Come back, and share in:

Part II





2 comments:

  1. Mom you are an amazing writer! You explain everything in such great detail! I love it love hearing these stories when I was smaller they get better and better through out time!! :) Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete